You can track your display ads inside of CallRail using both keyword-level tracking and source-level tracking. Display ads can be tracked as part of Google Paid campaign when using a keyword tracking pool, or they can be tracked individually by using a single source tracking number.
Use this article to learn how to:
- Track display ads using keyword-level tracking
- Track display ads using source-level tracking
- View calls from a source-level display ad
There are two ways to track display ads in CallRail. Source-level tracking will give you an aggregate number of calls coming from a display ad while keyword-level tracking reports calls to your display ads as Google Paid. You can receive keyword data for calls to your display ads with a keyword tracking pool.
To learn more about creating display ads on Google’s network, read this Google help article:
Track Display Ads Using Keyword-Level Tracking
Display ads must be configured with campaign tracking parameters in your AdWords account in order for them to appear in CallRail.
Before your caller's timelines can display this kind of data, you'll need an active keyword tracking pool:
Once your display campaigns have received calls, you can navigate to your caller's timelines to see their display campaign data. Display Ads will appear as "Google Paid" in your call log. Calls reported to Google Analytics and Google Adwords will be reported with the original user visitor session, which will link the call back to the ad, placement or click in Google Adwords.
Track Display Ads Using Source-Level Tracking
Display ads can be tracked using a single source tracking number that is configured to track landing parameters. Keyword data will not be available for calls that are tracked at the source-level, but these calls will be separated from other Google Paid calls.
- Choose the company where you'd like to add your new tracking number.
- Click Numbers at the top of the page.
- Select + Add Phone Number.
- Select Yes, I’ll use it online since this tracking number is for a landing page.
- Select Yes, on my website since this tracking number will dynamically replace the telephone number on a landing page.
- Select No, track a campaign since this number targets visitors who click your display ad.
- Name your tracking number for your reports, and enter the destination number where your calls should route. Then, click Next: Select Tracking Sources.
- Select the option Landing Params and enter the parameter you'd like to use (this will be the same parameter you add to your landing URL). In this example, we'll use "utm_campaign=display." Then, click Next: Select a Phone Number.
- Choose your tracking phone number from the list of available numbers. If you want your number to have a different area code, click Change Area Code and enter your preferred area code. Then, click Next: Other Options.
- Configure your whisper message and call recording. When you're finished, click Activate Tracking Number.
- Once you've completed the number creation process, you can choose one of the suggested next steps to further configure your new tracking number, or Go to Activity Dashboard to close the number creation wizard.
View Calls From a Source-Level Display Ad
Calls from display ads with source-level tracking numbers will appear in both your call log and attribution report. These calls will appear under the name you gave your tracking number. For example, a call from a number named "Display Ad Tracking Number" would appear as "Display Ad Tracking Number - utm_source=display".