CallRail’s call recording feature allows you to automatically record phone calls received by your tracking numbers. After a call ends, the recording will be available to replay in your call log and email notifications.
Call recording is included in your account at no additional cost.
Use this article to learn how to:
- Turn on call recording when creating a new tracking number
- Activate call recording on an existing tracking number
- Activate call recording for multiple numbers
- Listen to your recorded calls
- Download an mp3 file of a call's recording
Getting Started: Important Legal Notice
There are different laws that apply to call recording, so check your current state and federal laws before using this feature. Some states require both parties to consent to any recorded conversation, while other states require only one party to consent. To assist in the compliance with these laws, CallRail allows you to enable an automated verbal greeting to parties on a call.
Call Recording for a New Number
Call recording can be turned on for a tracking number within the final step of the number creation wizard.
Check the box for Call Recording. You can type in a greeting to notify the caller that their call will be recorded if your state or local laws require the caller to be notified. You can also leave this field blank for no message.
Call Recording for an Existing Number
Call recording can be turned on for an existing tracking number on the number's configuration page.
- Choose the company where you’d like to use call recording.
- Click Tracking at the top of the page.
- Click Edit for the tracking number where you’d like to use call recording.
- Select the Edit icon to open the Number Options menu.
- Under Number, click the checkbox to enable call recording and to play a greeting to the caller. You can type in or upload a greeting to notify the caller that they call will be recorded if your state or local laws for your area require the caller to be notified. Leave this field blank or uncheck the box for no message.
- Click Save Number at the bottom of the page to save your changes.
Activate Call Recording for Multiple Numbers
The bulk editing options in CallRail allow administrators to activate or disable call recording for multiple tracking numbers at the same time. We'll send you a confirmation email once all of your numbers have been updated.
- Click the account drop-down at the top of the page, then click Manage Account.
- Select your Active Numbers from the Numbers list in the left menu.
- Select the numbers where you'd like to activate or disable call recording.
- Select the Bulk Actions drop-down at the top right of the page.
- Select Call Recording, then click Next.
- Choose a Call Recording preference for all of your selected numbers.
- Select Activate Call Recording to enable call recording for your selected numbers.
- Select Disable Call Recording to turn off call recording for your selected numbers.
Listen to Recorded Calls
There are several places where you can listen to recorded phone calls. Once you’ve listened to a call, the playback icon will change colors to indicate you’ve listened to that call previously.
- Click Recording from the call log to see a pop-up window at the bottom of your screen. You can scroll through your call log and take actions on other calls while you listen to your selected recording.
- Select Minimize to listen to the call recording in a smaller view.
- Navigate to the caller's timeline to play the recording inside a customer's profile.
Select the Listen button in your Call Notification emails.
Download Recorded Calls
You can download an mp3 of any call from the caller's timeline page.
- Navigate to your Activity dashboard.
- Find the call you'd like to download and click to access that caller's timeline.
- Select Download MP3 from beneath the recording playback.
Does call recording cost extra?
Nope! Call recording is included in the base price of your account; there's no additional cost associated with using this feature.
How long are my recordings stored?
Call recordings are stored indefinitely.
Why are my recordings shorter than the length of the call?
Call recordings are typically shorter than the call duration because CallRail automatically trims off the silence at the beginning of the call, as well as the time that the caller spends on the phone while it is ringing.
Am I able to pause call recording in the middle of a call?
It’s not possible to pause call recording in the middle of a call; however, you are able to disable call recording on an existing tracking number to comply with legal or privacy needs.
Can I delete a call recording?
CallRail’s support team is able to delete recordings for you on the backend of your account. You can reach out to us with a list of the call URLs you’d like to be removed, and we’ll follow up once we’ve completed the task.
Can I download my recordings in bulk?
At this time, there’s not a way to bulk download recordings. If you’d like to download your recordings, you’ll navigate to the timeline for each call you’d like to download using the last set of instructions in this article.
- Navigate to your Activity dashboard.
- I have call recording turned on, but I don't see my recording yet.
If you've confirmed call recording is on for your tracking numbers, it may just be taking a few minutes for your call recording to appear in our system. In most cases, if you have several long calls that aren't uploading fast enough, we recommend giving it a few minutes, as recording files are significantly larger than most data CallRail displays.