CallRail allows you to automatically record phone calls received by your tracking numbers. After a call ends, the recording will be available to replay in your call log and email notifications. Call recording is included in your account at no additional cost.
When call recording is turned on, you can also use our automatic call transcription services to get a written transcript of every call.
If you use Lead Center — our unified communications tool that allows you to take and make calls and texts from your tracking number — you can also set up outbound call recording.
Getting Started: Important Legal Notice
There are different laws that apply to call recording, so check your current state and federal laws before using this feature. Some states require both parties to consent to any recorded conversation, while other states require only one party to consent. To assist with compliance of these laws, CallRail allows you to enable an automated verbal greeting to parties on a call.
Call Recording for a new number
Call recording can be turned on for a tracking number within the final step of the number creation wizard.
Check the box for Call Recording. You can type in a greeting to notify the caller that their call will be recorded if your state or local laws require the caller to be notified. You can also leave this field blank for no message.
Call recording for an existing number
Call recording can be turned on for an existing tracking number on the number's configuration page.
- Click Tracking at the top of the page.
- Choose the company where you’d like to use call recording.
- Click the Pencil icon for the tracking number you’d like to update to go to its main configuration page.
- On the next screen, click the Pencil icon in the upper-right of the Number Options menu.
- Under Number, click the checkbox to enable call recording and to play a greeting to the caller. You can type in or upload a greeting to notify the caller that their call will be recorded if your state or local laws for your area require the caller to be notified. Leave this field blank or uncheck the box for no message.
- Click Save Number at the bottom of the page to save your changes.
Activate call recording for multiple numbers
The bulk editing options in CallRail allow administrators to activate or disable call recording for multiple tracking numbers at the same time. We'll send you a confirmation email once all of your numbers have been updated.
- Click the Account icon in the top left, then click Account Settings in the My Account panel.
- Select Active Numbers within Numbers in the menu on the left.
- Select the numbers where you'd like to activate or disable call recording by clicking their corresponding checkboxes.
- Select the Bulk Actions drop-down at the top right of the page.
- Select Call Recording, then click Next.
- Choose a Call Recording preference for all of your selected numbers. Select Activate Call Recording to enable call recording for your selected numbers, or select Disable Call Recording to turn off call recording for those selected numbers.
- Click Save Changes
Listening to recorded calls
There are several places where you can listen to recorded phone calls. Once you’ve listened to a call, the playback icon will change colors to indicate you’ve listened to that call previously.
Click Recording from the call log to see a pop-up window at the bottom of your screen. You can scroll through your call log and take actions on other calls while you listen to your selected recording.
Select Minimize to listen to the call recording in a smaller view.
Navigate to the caller's timeline to play the recording inside a customer's profile.
Select the Listen button in your Call Notification emails.
Does call recording cost extra?
There's no additional cost associated with using this feature. Call recording is included in the base price of all pricing plans.
How long are my recordings stored?
Call recordings are stored in accordance with CallRail's data retention policy.
Why are my recordings shorter than the length of the call?
Call recordings are typically shorter than the call duration because we automatically trim off the silence at the beginning of the call, as well as the time that the caller spends on the phone while it is ringing.
Am I able to pause call recording in the middle of a call?
It’s not possible to pause call recording in the middle of a call; however, you are able to disable call recording on an existing tracking number to comply with legal or privacy needs.
Can I delete a call recording?
Yes. Use these instructions to see how you can delete a call's recording:
Delete a Call Recording
Can I download my recordings in bulk?
Yes. You can bulk download recordings using the instructions within the following guide:
Bulk download call recordings
I have call recording turned on, but I don't see my recording yet.
If you've confirmed call recording is on for your tracking numbers, it may take a few minutes for your call recording to appear in our system. In most cases, if you have several long calls that aren't uploading fast enough, we recommend giving it a few minutes, as recording files are significantly larger than most data CallRail displays.
Can I use call recording within a HIPAA account?
The same laws apply to call recordings in a HIPAA account as they do in a standard CallRail account. You will need to check with your state laws and legal department to determine if you need to notify the caller that the call is being recorded. If you wish to record calls, you can listen to them in a HIPAA account as long as you are logged in to that account.