A greeting is an audio message that plays to the caller before their call is connected. Greetings are often used in conjunction with call recording to announce to callers that their call will be recorded. You can upload an mp3 file that you own to use as a greeting, or you can use CallRail’s voice synthesizer to read a greeting to a caller.
There are two different types of greetings you can use:
- MP3 Upload: You can upload any mp3 file (that you have permission to use, of course) and we’ll play it to the caller.
- Voice Synthesizer: Enter arbitrary text in the greeting field and CallRail’s voice synthesizer will read it to the caller.
If you prefer to create a greeting in the Call Flow Builder, use this help article instead: Greeting Step
Add a Greeting to a Tracking Number
If you're not using the Call Flow Builder, but still would like to add a greeting to your calls, you can do so from that tracking number's configuration page. Follow this set of instructions for each tracking number where you'd like to add a greeting.
- Click Analytics in the navigation bar on the left.
- Click Tracking at the top of the page.
- Choose the company where you'd like to add a greeting.
- Find the tracking number you'd like to add a greeting to and click the pencil icon on the right to Edit that tracking number.
- Under 2. Call Flow, click the checkbox to Play a greeting to the caller. Select Read Message to type in the text you'd like CallRail's voice synthesizer to read to callers. The default language can be changed in the drop-down menu above your greeting. Or, you can click Play Recording to upload a file from your computer.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page to update your tracking number.
Add a Greeting to Multiple Tracking Numbers
The Bulk Edit options in CallRail allow account administrators to add a greeting to multiple tracking numbers at the same time. We'll send you a confirmation email once all of your numbers have been updated.
- Click the Account icon in the top left, then click Account Settings in the My Account panel.
- Select Active Numbers from the Numbers list in the menu on the left.
- Select the numbers you'd like to bulk edit.
- Select the Bulk Actions button at the top right of the page.
- Select Greeting, then click Next.
- Choose a Greeting preference for all of your selected numbers. Select Activate greeting to add a greeting to your selected numbers. Or, click Disable greeting to turn off greetings for your selected numbers.
- Click Save Changes
Create a Greeting Step
As an alternative to the methods outlined above, you can use the Call Flow Builder to create a custom routing experience that includes a greeting step.
Call flows are company-specific in your account. Follow the instructions below to create a call flow with a Greeting step in the company of your choice.
- Click Tracking at the top of the page.
- Choose the company where you’d like to use a Greeting step.
- Select Call Flows within Calls & Texts in the menu on the left.
- Create a new call flow by clicking + Create New Call Flow. You can also click the pencil icon to Edit an existing call flow.
- Name your call flow at the top of the page.
- Choose your call recording preference. Slide the toggle to ON to record all calls to this call flow. Keep the toggle OFF if you don’t want calls to this flow recorded.
- Select Greeting from the list of available steps.
- Click Read Message and type in the message you'd like CallRail to read to the caller in a female voice. The voicemail language will default to the country selected at the top of the call flow. This can be changed in the drop-down above your message. Alternatively, click Play Recording to upload a recording from your computer you'd like to use.
- Once you've created your greeting, select additional steps where calls should forward according to your business preferences.
- Continue configuring your call flow to your personal preference. Then, click Save at the top of the page to save your call flow.
- In the pop-up window, assign your call flow to one or more of your tracking numbers. Click Assign when done, or click Skip to skip the step for now. If you skip this step, you can assign call flows to tracking numbers on the All Numbers page at any time.