Each tracking number you create can be assigned a source (like Google Ads, Bing Organic, Yelp, Facebook, etc.) and the correct tracking number will display when a user reaches your website via one of those sources. You'll also be able to track any form submissions on your website by enabling external form tracking or adding a custom form.
There are a few important details you’ll need to know before you get started with the WordPress plugin:
- Once you’ve installed the plugin on your website, be sure to test your installation before your campaign begins.
Learn how to test dynamic number insertion with this help article.
- Our plugin detects multiple number formats, including:
111-222-3333, 111.222.3333, and (111) 222-3333.
- Special steps are necessary to swap phone numbers in images.
Learn more about image swapping with this help article.
- To begin tracking form submissions with CallRail, you will need to enable external form tracking for your company or create a custom form.
Learn more about enabling Form Tracking with this help article.
Our WordPress plugin runs as a first-party script by default once it's been installed on your website since we provide first-party tracking and not third-party tracking. This allows your plugin to function as expected for website visitors who may be using a particularly sensitive ad blocker on their browser.
Installing the WordPress Plugin
The WordPress plugin you'll use for your website is company-dependent within your account. Use these instructions to learn how to upload the WordPress plugin for a specific company.
- Click Settings at the top of the page.
- Choose the company whose plugin you'd like to activate.
- Select All Integrations from the Integrations section in the menu on the left.
- Choose the WordPress integration option.
- Click to download CallRail’s WordPress plugin. You'll need this .zip file for a later step.
- Log into your WordPress site and select Plugins, then click Add New.
- Click Upload Plugin at the top of the page.
- Click Choose File and select the .zip file you downloaded in your CallRail account (from step 5). Then click Install Now.
- Once your plugin is successfully installed, select Settings in the left menu, then click CallRail.
- Add the WordPress plugin key from CallRail to the plugin settings in WordPress.
- Click Save Changes to activate your plugin.
Why isn’t my telephone number swapping?
Have you cleared your cookies, or tried accessing the website in a private browsing session? The most important part of testing dynamic number insertion is to simulate the experience of a first-time visitor before testing. Otherwise, the swap code will detect you as a visitor to the website from a previous session.
How do I prevent a number from swapping on my website?
If there is a specific place on your website where you don't want the number to swap, update the telephone number in your source code so that our swap script doesn't recognize it. In the number that you do not want to be swapped, you can use HTML tags that don't apply additional style.
For example: 555-<span>444<span>-3333.
Can I have a white-labeled version of my plugin?
Yes. Use the instructions above when logged into CallRail via your white label domain to access a white label version of your plugin.
Why don't I see tracking data for incoming form submissions from an external form?
Use this help article to troubleshoot external form submissions.