The same snippet powers both call and form tracking if you're using both products in CallRail, so you don't have to install the same script more than once. After your company's snippet has been added to each page of your website, it gathers all the details of your customer's interactions on your website and relays their activity back to CallRail.
There are a few important details you’ll need to know before you get started with dynamic number insertion:
- Dynamic number insertion detects multiple number formats, including:
111-222-3333, 111.222.3333, and (111) 222-3333.
- Special steps are necessary to swap phone numbers in images.
Learn more about image swapping with this help article.
- Click the Settings icon on the left navigation bar.
- Click Integrations at the top of the page.
- Paste your script into each page of your website right before the </body> tag.
You must test each web page individually where you’ve installed the code snippet. Testing a landing page, for example, will not test your entire site.
- Click the Settings icon on left the navigation bar.
- Choose the company whose snippet installation you are testing.
- Click Integrations at the top of the page.
- Copy and paste the web page URL that you’d like to test and click Start Test.
If the code snippet is not in the correct location, your numbers can’t swap so the second part of the test will not be performed.
- In the Tracking Number Status section of the test, it’s important to note that we’re testing all the tracking numbers in your company. So, some numbers that show up as “not found” are not a problem. Only troubleshoot tracking numbers you expected to swap on the page you are testing.
- Tracking numbers that are properly swapping on the page you’re testing will show a green checkmark in the Status column.
- Click the eyeball icon in the View column to see a live swap example of the tracking number swap on your page.
- This screen will show a screen capture of the tracking number swap that happened with a date and time stamp of when the swap occurred.
- There will be a yellow alert message in the Status column for numbers that aren’t swapping on the single web page you’re testing.
Remember, we’re testing all the tracking numbers in your company. This alert isn’t a problem for tracking numbers that won’t be used on the specific web page you’re testing.
- If it’s a tracking number you expected to swap on the page, click the Troubleshoot link to view a help article on troubleshooting common errors that will prevent a number from swapping.
- You can also select the Number Name to be sent directly to the edit page for that number so you can make any configuration changes needed.
Can I test that dynamic number insertion is working?
Yes, there are a couple of ways to test that your DNI script is working properly. Read how to use our auto-test feature to see live swap examples of your tracking numbers swapped on your page or manually test dynamic number insertion.
Why isn’t my telephone number swapping?
Have you cleared your cookies, or tried accessing the website in a private browsing session? The most important part of testing dynamic number insertion is to simulate the experience of a first-time visitor before testing. Otherwise, the swap code will detect you as a visitor to the website from a previous session.
How do I prevent a number from swapping on my website?
If there is a specific place on your website where you don't want a number to swap, you're able to update the telephone number in your source code so that our swap script doesn't recognize it. In the number that you do not want to be swapped, use HTML tags that don't apply any additional style.
For example: 555-<span>444<span>-3333.
Can I use dynamic number insertion in an iframe?
We do not recommend installing our dynamic number insertion script in an iframe since they run independently from the rest of a website. This could cause an inconsistent experience for website visitors, and they could potentially see two different tracking numbers on the same website. CallRail's swap script can still be installed on websites that use iframes, but any number within an iframe won't swap.
Can I use dynamic number insertion on my Squarespace site?
Can I use dynamic number insertion on my Wix site?
Use this article to learn how to add dynamic number insertion to Google Tag Manager.
Can I have a white-labeled version of my swap code?
Yes. Use the instructions above when logged into CallRail via your white label domain to access a white label version of your swap script.