Porting a number to CallRail allows you to transfer a number you own into your CallRail account. Once the porting process is complete, your number will become a CallRail tracking number that you can use in your marketing campaigns to collect analytics.
Porting your phone number into CallRail is free.
A credit card must be added to the account in order to begin the porting process.
On average, it takes 4-6 weeks from the time we receive your documents to the time your number is ported. Bulk port requests can take up to 6-8 weeks. The amount of time varies depending on the carriers involved. Your number may be transferred at any time during this window. We pre-configure your numbers in your account to ensure there is no downtime when the number is transferred.
Be sure you have a destination number to forward to before you port your number to CallRail. Every number in CallRail needs to forward to an existing number you own outside of CallRail. You'll add this destination number to the CSV you upload as the "forwarding number" when you submit your port request to us.
Do not cancel your service with your existing provider until you have confirmed the port is complete. If you cancel your service before the port is complete, your existing provider may cancel your phone number and you may be unable to transfer or recover it.
Once the number is ported into CallRail, standard per-number and per-minute fees apply (just like your other CallRail numbers).
Port a Number into CallRail
Use these instructions to submit a port request.
- Click the account drop-down menu at the top of the page, then select Manage Account.
- Choose Porting In under the Numbers header the left menu.
- Click the Create Port Request button at the top of the screen to begin creating your port request.
- Type in the desired name for your port request under the Port Request Name header.
- Under the Numbers header, click the CSV template link to download the file and list all the numbers you plan to port. To be accepted, the CSV file must include:
- Tracking number(s) that you want to port
- Forwarding number(s) that each tracking number should forward to
- Each tracking number's name and source
- Companies with your account the tracking number(s) should be placed within
- Click the Upload CSV button to upload the CSV file.
- Under the Most Recent Invoice header, click the Upload PDFbutton to upload a scanned (or electric) copy of your most recent phone invoice that includes your account and address information for all the numbers you'd like to port. If you don't have a copy of your most recent phone invoice, you can upload a screenshot of the numbers in your current account.
- Under the Letter of Authorization header, select whether you or someone else will sign the Letter of Authorization. If you fill out the document, complete the requested information. If you’re sending the document to someone else, provide the recipient’s name and email address in the appropriate fields.
- Click on the Submit button when all requested information has been provided.
- Follow the progress of your port requests within the table. You will be able to see the name of each port request, who submitted the request, the date the request was made, and the status of each request. Note: When client managers submit port requests, they'll only see a list of the requests they have submitted within the table.
- Optional: Click the Eye icon at the end of each row of the table to see a summary card of each port request. This card includes the account name, the port name, who made the port request, and the request date. There also are links to the most recent invoice provided and to the document that shows which numbers are to be ported.
- Optional: Click the Pencil icon within each row of the table to see the unfinished Letter of Authorization if you need to complete the document to finish the port request.
Does it cost anything to port a number to CallRail?
Nope! There's no cost on CallRail's end to port a number into our system. However, we recommend contacting the carrier you're transferring from to ensure they don't charge any port-out fees.
Can I port my number out of CallRail?
Absolutely. If you wish to port your number out to another provider, the receiving provider will assist you with initiating the port. Due to issues outside our control, the process typically takes 4-6 weeks. During this time, do not close your CallRail account until you have confirmed that the port has completed successfully.
Which numbers can be ported?
Local and toll-free US and Canadian phone numbers can be ported to accounts that are current, in good standing, and out of the free trial period. CallRail accepts other international ports, but please contact our Support team to begin that process.
Who can help port my numbers?
Your receiving provider will manage the porting process. Once CallRail receives the request to port numbers from your account, we will reach out to the account administrator to verify that numbers can be added and will pre-configure numbers in your account. No downtime will occur on your numbers while the port is taking place.