This feature is available for the Call Tracking Essentials plan and higher. Use our help article to see or change your pricing.
There are a few important details you’ll need to know before you get started with dynamic number insertion:
Learn how to test dynamic number insertion with this help article
- Dynamic number insertion detects multiple number formats, including:
111-222-3333, 111.222.3333, and (111) 222-3333.
- Special steps are necessary to swap phone numbers in images.
Learn more about image swapping with this help article
- CallRail’s swap.js code must be embedded on the visitor’s landing page, as well as each page on your website that displays a phone number. Ideally, swap.js should be installed on every page of your website.
Installing with Google Tag Manager
- Click Analytics in the navigation bar on the left, then click Tracking at the top of the page.
- Choose the company whose plugin you'd like to activate.
- Select Installation Methods from the Tracking Installation section in the menu on the left.
- Under the Installation section of that page, click Google Tag Manager to show those instructions.
- Open a separate browser tab and log into your Google Tag Manager account. Navigate to the domain within it where installation where take place.
- Click Add a New Tag.
- Name the tag at the top of the page, then select the box labeled Tag Configuration.
- Select Custom HTML under the section Custom.
- Copy the code snippet from the Tracking Installation page within CallRail to the HTML box in Google Tag Manager.
- Select the Triggering box, and choose your trigger. We recommend setting your script to fire on all pages of your website by selecting the + at the top of the page, then clicking Page View > All Page Views.
- Click Save to add your tag to your workspace.
- Once your tag has been added to your workspace according to these instructions, click Publish at the top of the page to activate the script on your website.
Why isn’t my telephone number swapping?
Have you cleared your cookies, or tried accessing the website in a private browsing session? The most important part of testing dynamic number insertion is to simulate the experience of a first-time visitor before testing. Otherwise, the swap code will detect you as a visitor to the website from a previous session.
Learn more about testing dynamic number insertion with this help article.
How do I prevent a number from swapping on my website?
If there is a specific place on your website where you don't want the number to swap, you're able to update the telephone number in your source code so that our swap script doesn't recognize it. In the number that you do not want to be swapped, you can use HTML tags that don't apply any additional style.
For example: 555-<span>444<span>-3333.
Can I have a white-labeled version of my swap code?
Yes. Use the instructions above when logged into CallRail via your white label domain to access a white label version of your swap script.