To create tracking numbers for countries outside the United States and Canada, a member of our team will need to update your account first. Read this article to learn more about call tracking in your country.
CallRail offers a way to track remarketing campaigns with a small update to the landing URL for your remarketing campaign. With this change, visitors arriving from a remarketing campaign will see your remarketing tracking phone number, even if they previously arrived at your site through another marketing campaign.
Use this article to learn how to:
- Create a tracking number for a remarketing campaign
- Set up a source override for your remarketing campaign visitors
Once you've set up your remarketing source tracking number, you'll also want to set up a landing page source override. This allows a remarketing campaign visitor's remarketing visit to override their first visit to the website, so they see your remarketing campaign tracking number.
In order for your campaign-level tracking number to swap as expected, dynamic number insertion should be installed on your website.
Create a Remarketing Campaign Tracking Number
- Choose the company where you'd like to add your new tracking number.
- Click Numbers at the top of the page.
- Select Create Phone Number.
- Select I’ll use it online since this tracking number is for a web campaign.
- Select On my website since this tracking number will dynamically replace the telephone number on your website.
- Select Track a marketing campaign since this number targets visitors who match your campaign settings.
- Name your tracking number for your reports, and enter the forwarding number where your calls should route. Then, click Next: Tracking Options.
- Select the option Landing Params and enter the parameter you'd like to use (this will be the same parameter you add to your landing URL). In this example, we'll use "utm_campaign=remarketing." Then, click Next: Choose a Phone Number.
- Choose your tracking phone number from the list of available numbers. If you want your number to have a different area code, click Numbers in a specific country or area code and enter your preferred area code. Then, click Next: Other Options.
- Configure your whisper message and call recording. When you're finished, click Activate Tracking Number.
- If you're purchasing French or Australian tracking numbers, our carrier requires a local address on file. Enter the address of the business you're purchasing tracking numbers for. This address will need to be local to the tracking numbers you're creating. We'll save this address for future tracking numbers in the same area.
- Once you've completed the number creation process, you can choose one of the suggested next steps to further configure your new tracking number, or Go to Activity Dashboard to close the number creation wizard.
Create a Landing Page Source Override
Once your remarketing campaign tracking number is set up, you'll configure your dynamic number insertion settings to target your remarketing visitors.
- Choose the company that contains your remarketing campaign tracking number.
- Click Settings at the top of the page.
- Within the Integrations list, select All Integrations.
- Choose Dynamic Number Insertion.
- Click Advanced Settings at the bottom of the page.
- Check the box for when a visitor arrives on a landing page containing the following parameter name. Then, enter the parameter you’d like to override the original source.
- Click Save to update your settings.