To create Google Ad Extension tracking numbers for countries outside the United States and Canada, a member of our team will need to update your account first. Read this article to learn more about call tracking in your country.
You can create a Google ad extension tracking number in your CallRail account to use in your Google Ads call extensions. This allows you to track customers that click on your desktop ad and directly call your business. With your CallRail tracking number as your call extension, your caller’s data appears alongside your activity and reports in your account.
Use this article to learn how to:
- Create a tracking number for your desktop ads
- Add your tracking numbers to your ad extensions
When you create a Google ad extension tracking number, we'll automatically configure this tracking number's source to "offline" so dynamic number insertion won't swap this number on your website. This allows you to safely run other campaigns to track calls from your website separately from calls to your Google ad extension.
If you're looking to track your call-only or mobile ads, we recommend creating a Google Ads Mobile Click-to-Call tracking number instead.
Create a Google Ad Extension Tracking Number
- Select Create Phone Number at the top of the page.
- Choose the company where you'd like to add your new tracking number.
- The new number wizard will appear on your screen. The first question asks, "Where do you want to use this tracking number?" Select I’ll use it online since this tracking number is for a web campaign.
- Select Somewhere else since this number will display in your ad and not your website.
- Select Yes, in an ad extension to use this number in your Google Ads call extension.
- Select On desktop and mobile devices since this number will be used in a desktop ad extension.
- Name your tracking number for your reports, and enter the forwarding number where your calls should route. Then, click Next: Select a Phone Number.
- Choose your tracking phone number from the list of available numbers. If you want your number to have a different area code, click Numbers in a specific country or area code and enter your preferred area code. Then, click Next: Number Features.
- Configure your whisper message and call recording. When you're finished, click Activate Tracking Number.
- To purchase an Australian or UK tracking number, please provide an address to associate with the tracking number. This does not have to be a local address, and can be your business's main address. If you're purchasing a French tracking number, a local French address is required. We'll save this address for future tracking numbers in the same area.
- Once you've completed the number creation process, you can choose one of the suggested next steps to further configure your new tracking number, or Go to Activity Dashboard to close the number creation wizard.
Add Your Tracking Number to Google Ads
Once you've authorized your integration in CallRail, add your Google ad extension tracking number to your campaigns in Google Ads.
Prefer to use Google's instructions? Check out their help article on call extensions.
- Once you're logged into Google Ads, select Ads & extensions in the left menu.
- Select Extensions near the top of the page.
- Click the + icon to create a new call extension, or edit one of your current extensions to include your CallRail number.
- If editing, replace the phone number currently in the call extension with the CallRail number you just created. Then click Save.
Will calls to my Google Ad Extension tracking number report as conversions in Google Ads?
Calls to your ad extension numbers won't report as conversions in Google Ads. In order for calls to report as conversions, you'll need to be using keyword-level tracking.