Keyword-level tracking allows you to track every marketing campaign that leads to your website with a pool of numbers that dynamically swaps for each new visitor.
With keyword-level tracking, you can correlate calls to unique website visitors and track which PPC keywords you're bidding on are driving the most phone calls.
Note: a keyword pool is required to report on calls by PPC keyword or to send call conversions to ad platforms like Google Ads.
To create a keyword pool for countries outside the United States and Canada, a member of our team will need to update your account first. Read this article to learn more about call tracking in your country.
Here's a full list of the sources you'll be able to track using your keyword pool:
All Website Visitors: track every visitor to your website, regardless of their marketing source. *This is the method we recommend in most cases.
Google Ads: track only visitors who came to your website from your Google Ads campaigns.
PPC Search: track only visitors from your Google, Bing, and Yahoo ads.
Landing Page: track only visitors who land on a specific page on your website. You can enter a domain to track, like www.example.com/greatpage, to track a specific page on your website. You can also enter a specific parameter to track, like utm_campaign=ppc1, to get keyword data for specific campaigns.
Referring Page: track only visitors from a specific website, like yelp.com.
All Except Direct: track all website visitors except for those who enter your website URL and navigate to your site directly.
All Except Direct & Organic: track all website visitors except for those who find your website through organic search engine results or by typing in your website's URL and navigating to your site directly.
One keyword tracking pool is allowed per company. If you'd like to add more than one keyword tracking pool per company, please contact our support team, as this is something we'll take care of on our end.
Create a Keyword Pool
- Click the Create (+) icon in the navigation bar on the left and select Phone Number.
- Choose the company where you'd like to add your new tracking number.
- The new number wizard will appear on your screen. Select I'll use it online when the first question asks, "Where do you want to use this tracking number?" since this tracking pool is for a web campaign.
- Select On my website since these numbers will dynamically replace the telephone number on your website.
- Select Calls, keywords, & web sessions since this pool targets each individual visitor's session on your website.
- Enter the name of your pool within Number Pool Name, and enter the pool size that you prefer along with the Forwarding Number. The number pool name is how your keyword pool will appear within your reports, and the forwarding number is where your calls should route. Then, click Tracking Options.
Note: When creating a keyword tracking pool, the minimum requirement is 4 numbers. This is to reduce the likelihood of a visitor-to-call misattribution.
- Select the source(s) you'd like to track. A full explanation of these sources is available at the beginning of this article. Then, click Choose Phone Numbers
- Select the area code (local, toll-free, or numbers in a different area code) for the tracking numbers that will be created within your pool. Then, click Number Features.
- Configure a whisper message and call recording. When you are finished, click Activate Tracking Number.
- To purchase an Australian or UK tracking number, please provide an address to associate with the tracking number. This does not have to be a local address, and can be your business's main address.
- Once you've completed the number creation process, you can choose one of the suggested next steps to further configure your new tracking numbers, or Go to Activity Dashboard to close the number creation wizard.
Implement Keyword Tracking