This Google Analytics article references Classic Analytics (ga.js). If you're using Universal Analytics (ga.js) on your website, follow these instructions instead.
CallRail integrates with your existing Google Analytics account by sending text messages to a Goal you create in Google Analytics. We report text messages to Classic Google Analytics (ga.js) as a "Destination."
Use this article to learn how to:
- Create a text message goal in Classic Analytics
- View your text messages as they report to Classic Analytics
Creating a text message goal is dependent upon the type of Google Analytics you’re using. This article will guide you through creating goals for Classic Analytics; however, Universal Analytics is the operating standard for most Google Analytics accounts. To learn more about Universal Analytics, or to determine the type of Analytics you’re using, following Google’s guide:
For this tutorial, we’ll assume that you’ve already linked your CallRail account to your Google Analytics account. If you haven’t linked your accounts yet, follow the instructions in this support article first, then return to this article to complete setup:
Create a Text Message Goal
CallRail's integration with Google Analytics is company-dependent in your account. Use these instructions to create a text message goal that reports all text messages received by each tracking number in the company you’ve integrated with Google Analytics.
- Log into your Google Analytics account.
- Click ADMIN at the bottom of the left sidebar.
- Choose the Account and Property where you'd like to create your goal.
- Click Goals under the View tab.
- Select + NEW GOAL at the top of the page.
- In the Goal setup step, select Custom, then click Continue.
- On the Goal description step, enter a Goal Name and select Destination. Then click Continue.
- In the Goal details step, set the Destination to Begins with, and type in /text-message/. The "Event value as the Goal Value" switch can be set to "Yes" or "No" without interfering with your reporting.
- Click Save to activate your goal.
Viewing Text Message Data in Classic Analytics
Once your goal has received text messages, you can view your text message data within your Google Analytics account. It can take up to 24 hours once you integrate with Classic Analytics for your goals to begin reporting.
- In the left menu, select Behavior. Then click Site Content, and choose All Pages.
- Search for /text-message/ using the search box below the graph.
- To see more information about your text messages, click the phone number under the Page column. The reporting format varies based on whether the call was received via a source tracking number or a keyword tracking number with the following attributes:
- Source Tracker: /text-message/[destination number]/[tracking number]/[caller number]/[number of calls]
- Keyword Tracker: /text-message/keyword/[destination number]/[caller number]/[number of calls]
- From [caller number] [number of calls]
Why can’t I see the caller’s full phone number in Google Analytics?
CallRail will insert "XXX" into the caller's phone number when we report it to Google Analytics. The Google Analytics Terms of Service require that no personally identifiable information be passed into Google Analytics.
Where can I learn more about Analytics goals?
To learn more about using Goals in Google Analytics, you can read this Google help article.