Get daily performance summaries, receive alerts when something needs your attention, and see real-time notifications in the Slack channel of your choice when calls, texts, and form submissions are received by your tracking numbers. CallRail's Slack integration makes it easy to keep up with your call tracking—you can even respond to texts directly from Slack.
CallRail's Slack integration is now powered by an app! The app is automatically added to Slack as part of the process of activating your integration.
Use this article to learn how to:
- Integrate CallRail with Slack
- Change which notifications you receive in Slack
- Move a company to a different slack channel
- Remove a company from a slack channel
- Use different types of notifications and alerts
- Disable Slack integration
The Slack integration is configured to display one daily summary per channel. If you have more than one company reporting to the same channel, you'll receive a combined daily summary that includes data for all of the companies associated with the channel.
If you'd like to get a separate daily summary for each company, follow the instructions below for each company you'd like to connect to Slack, and assign each one to a different channel. Or, as detailed in step 12 below, you can choose to integrate all of your companies at the same time, and CallRail will automatically create a separate channel for each.
Integrating a Company with Slack
- Sign in to the appropriate CallRail account.
- Click the Settings tab at the top of the screen.
- Select the company you want to integrate with Slack from the dropdown menu on the right.
- Scroll down to the Slack integration tile. Click Activate.
- Choose whether or not to receive real-time notifications in Slack for every call, text, and/or form submission that is sent to your trackers by clicking the check boxes on the integration page.
If activating text messages, choose whether you'd like the ability to respond to texts directly from Slack. Then click Activate. (Please note, anyone with access to the Slack channel will be able to respond to texts from Slack if this option is activated.)
- If you are not signed in to you Slack workplace in your browser, you'll be asked to your workspace URL and sign in.
- If you're signed in to more that one workspace, make sure you've chosen the correct one from the dropdown menu in the top right of the screen.
- Click Allow to accept permissions. Learn more about why the integration requires permissions here.
- The rest of the set up takes place in Slack. Open your Slack app or navigate to Slack in your browser. Click on CallRail under the Apps section of the panel on the left. You'll see a welcome message.
If you have more than one company, you'll see the option to integrate all of your companies with Slack at the same time. Go to step 12 if you want to do so. Otherwise go to the next step.
- To integrate only one company, select Not right now.
- A dialogue box will pop up. Open the dropdown menu in the dialogue box and select the channel where you'd like to receive your messages from CallRail and click Add.
Integration is complete. You'll see a welcome message in the channel you chose.
- If you select Yes on step 10. above, and decide to add all of your companies at once, you'll be prompted to choose between one channels or separate.
- If you select Send separate summaries, the app will automatically create a new channel for each company. If you you select Send one summary, you'll be able to choose the channel you would like to use.
Whenever more than one company is integrated into a channel, you will receive one, combined daily performance summary each morning that includes the combined data of all the companies.
Changing Notification Settings, including Text Responding
Use the following steps to enable or disable notifications for calls, text messages, and form submissions for each company. Daily insights and real-time alerts cannot be turned off.
- Log in to your account. For users with multiple accounts, choose the appropriate account from Account Center.
- Select Settings at the top of the screen.
- Choose the company where you'd like to change the settings from the dropdown menu.
- Scroll down the page until you find Slack on the integration list and click Configure.
- Choose the types of notifications you'd like to receive by checking or unchecking the tick boxes. You can also choose to enable or disable the ability to respond to texts directly from Slack. Then click Update. (Please note, anyone with access to the Slack channel will be able to respond to texts from Slack if this option is activated.)
Add, Remove, Move, or View a Company in Slack
Slash commands are pre-set commands used in Slack. You type a slash command into the message box to prompt Slack to provide information or take an action. CallRail's integration uses slash commands to add and remove companies from channels and to move companies from one channel to another.
When you type /callrail into the message box in a Slack channel, you'll see a dropdown menu and a list of slash commands.
You can type each of the slash commands directly into the message box to perform an action, or you can choose an action from the dropdown menu.
Add a Company in a Slack Channel
To add a company to a Slack channel, the Slack integration must already be active for that company.
- Select the Slack channel where you want to start receiving daily summaries, alerts, and notifications for a company.
- Type /callrail add into the message box and hit enter.
- Choose the company you'd like to add to the channel from the dropdown menu and the click Add.
Remove a Company from a Slack Channel
- Select the Slack channel from which you want to remove the company.
- Type /callrail remove into the message box and hit enter.
- Choose the company you'd like to remove to the channel from the dropdown menu and the click Remove. You'll no longer receive daily summaries, anomaly alerts, or notifications for this company.
Move a Company from a Slack Channel
- Select the Slack channel where you currently receive notifications for the company you want to move.
- Type /callrail move into the message box and hit enter.
- Select the company you'd like to move from the first dropdown menu and the channel where you'd like to move the company from the second. Click Move.
View all Companies in a Slack Channel
Once multiple companies are added to a Slack channel, you can use a slash command to view a list of companies at any time.
- Go to the slack channel you want to learn about.
- Type /callrail list into the message box and hit enter. The list of companies will appear.
Types of Notifications and Alerts
Each type of alert provides specific information and some allow for a related action. Check out the following alerts to learn how to best utilize your Slack integration.
- Daily performance summaries are sent every morning at 9:00 am and include analysis of your recent call tracking trends. You can provide feedback by clicking the Thumbs Up or Down at the bottom.
- Real-time call notifications provide basic call information. Clicking Listen will take you to the CallRail app to listen to a recording of the call or voicemail. (Listen is only available if you have call recording turned on.)
- Real-time text notifications provide basic message information and allow you to respond to texts directly in Slack by clicking Respond. (Please note, anyone with access to the Slack channel will be able to respond to texts from Slack if this option is activated. To turn responding off or on, access notification settings.)
- Real-time form submission notifications show what was entered in each field on the form.
- Anomaly alerts let you know when something needs your attention, like if one of your tracking numbers stops receiving calls or if one of you integrations stops woking.
- By selecting the Mute dropdown menu, you can choose to mute the alert for various periods of time.
Disabling Slack Integration
Disabling a company's integration with Slack will stop notifications about that company appearing in your Slack channel. We'll keep your Slack credentials saved in case you'd like to re-activate your integration in the future.
- Click Settings at the top of the page.
- Choose the company whose integration you'd like to disable.
- Choose Slack from the list of integrations and click Configure.
- Select Disable Integration on the right side of the page.
- Click Disable to turn off your integration.
Slack Permissions Explained
Our Slack integration makes it very convenient to keep up with your lead tracking. To operate seamlessly with Slack, the CallRail integration, which is powered by an app that you install in Slack, requires a handful of permissions.
These permissions are typical for most Slack apps, but given the climate surrounding online security, we want to reassure you that we only request the permissions we need in order for the app to operate, and will never access or store your information for any other reason.
The following list includes permissions CallRail needs to integrate with Slack, as well as the reason we need these permissions.
- Send messages as CallRail
- This allows us to send notifications, daily summaries, and anomaly alerts to the Slack channel of your choice.
- Access content in your public channels and Access content in your private channels
- This is similar to the above. It allows CallRail to post your call tracking data to your Slack channels.
- Access your workspace's profile information
- This allows us us to match your Slack account to your CallRail account(s)
- Add slash commands
- Slash commands allow you to add, remove, and move companies between channels, among other actions.
- Modify your public channels
- This allows us to create channels for each of you CallRail companies if you want separate summaries for each.
Can members of my team who do not have CallRail receive notifications and respond to texts?
Anyone with access to the Slack channel where the notifications are sent can view the notifications. If text responding is enabled, anyone with access to the channel can also respond to texts directly from Slack. Any links that take you to the CallRail app, or related actions such as "View Details" or "Listen" to phone calls can only be performed by CallRail users.
How do I know which companies are sending notifications to a given channel?
Type /callrail list for a list of all companies in a given channel.
What slash commands are available with CallRail's integration?
Type /callrail to access this list.
The person who set up my Slack integration is no longer with the company. How do I reactivate the integration?
If your Slack integration suddenly stops working, the person who set it up the may have left the company. If this is the case, we will provide a notice message in Slack, on the company's Slack integration page, and via email to reactivate.
While anyone with access to the Slack channel may see the error message, only users with CallRail accounts can reactivate the integration.
I'm receiving double alerts. How do I fix it?
You may have an older version of Slack active at the same time as the current version. Contact Support to deactivate the older version.
What if the information I receive in Slack is incorrect or if I don't receive a notification when I should?
Double check that you have integrated with the correct company. Access the Integrations page for the company in question and scroll down to the Slack integration. If it says "Activate," you have not activated the integration for that company.
If the company is correct and the information is still incorrect, or you aren't receiving notifications when you should be, contact Support.
My Slack integration is activated but I don't receive daily summaries or alerts when something needs my attention, and I can't respond to texts directly from Slack. What gives?
You may need to update to the newest version of the Slack integration. Access the company Integration page under the "Settings" tab and scroll down until you reach the Slack integration.
If you are using the newest version of the Slack integration, contact Support
My Slack integration is activated but I don't receive call, text, and form submission notifications, only daily summaries and alerts when something needs my attention. What gives?
If your account is HIPAA compliant, you are unable to receive call, text, and form submission notifications, which may include patient information, such as name and phone number.