Google requires all phone numbers used in call extensions and call-only ads to be verified. You may see a message like this in your Google AdWords account:
Use this article to learn how to:
- Verify your call extensions in Google AdWords
- Link your AdWords account to Google Search Console
- Verify a Webmaster Tools Account
Google provides two ways to verify your call extension phone numbers:
- Ensure the phone number used in your extension appears in text on the website featured in your ad.
- Prove that you own your domain by linking your Google Search Console to your AdWords accounts. You can also add your unique AdWords conversion tracking code snippet to the landing page featured in your ad if you prefer to verify ownership of your domain without using Google Search Console.
After you link your AdWords and Google Search Console accounts, it may take several hours or days for your phone numbers to appear as verified.
Linking Your Account to Google Search Console
- In your AdWords account, click the Gear icon in the upper-right corner of the page and choose Linked accounts.
- Select Search Console from the left menu.
- Enter the website URL you'd like to link.
- If you see a message that says "You're not listed as an owner on the Webmaster Tools account..." then you will need to follow the steps below under "Verify a Webmaster Tools Account," then return to this step.
- After your account is linked successfully, it should appear in the list like this:
Verify a Webmaster Tools Account
- Go to https://www.google.com/webmasters/ and click Search Console, or sign in.
- Select Add a Property.
- Enter the URL of the site that was listed in your Google AdWords account.
- Next, you'll see several options for verifying ownership of the website. Complete that process and click Verify.
- After your verification is successful, you can return to link the account in Google AdWords.
Prefer to use Google's instructions? Here's their Help article on the different ways you can verify your extensions.