As of June 2015, Google requires all phone numbers used in call extensions and call-only ads to be verified. You may see a message like this in your Google AdWords account:
Use this article to learn how to:
- Verify your call extensions in Google AdWords
- Link your AdWords account to your Google Search Console
- Verify a Webmaster Tools Account
Google provides two ways to verify your call extension phone numbers:
- Ensure the phone number used in your extension appears in text on the website featured in your ad.
- Link your Google Search Console (formerly known as Google Webmaster Tools) to your AdWords accounts, and add your unique AdWords conversion tracking code snippet to the landing page featured in your ad.
The easiest way to verify CallRail phone numbers is to prove ownership of your ad's display URL by linking your AdWords and Google Search Console account.
After you link your AdWords and Google Search Console accounts, it may take several hours or days for your phone numbers to appear as verified.
Note: Google recommends option 2 if you’re using third-party call tracking services like CallRail. If applicable, your account team may update your account's verification status on your behalf.
Here are further instructions from Google on verifying your call extension numbers.
Linking AdWords and Google Search Console
Prefer to use Google's instructions? Use this article to link your Google Search Console to your AdWords account.
- In your AdWords account, click the Gear icon in the upper-right corner of the page and choose Linked accounts.
- Select Search Console from the left menu.
- Enter the website URL you'd like to link.
- If you see a message that says "You're not listed as an owner on the Webmaster Tools account..." then you will need to follow the steps below under "Verify a Webmaster Tools Account," then return to this step.
- After your account is linked successfully, it should appear in the list like this:
Verify a Webmaster Tools Account
- Go to https://www.google.com/webmasters/ and click Search Console, or sign in.
- Select Add a Property.
- Enter the URL of the site that was listed in your Google AdWords account.
- Next, you'll see several options for verifying ownership of the website. Complete that process and click Verify.
- After your verification is successful, you can return to link the account in Google AdWords.