Use templates in the Call Flow Builder to quickly create custom routing for your tracking numbers based on the most commonly utilized call flows. Templates can be used in conjunction with the duplicate existing call flow feature to drastically reduce time spent manually creating custom routing for multiple tracking numbers within a company.
Use this article to learn how to:
- Create a call flow using a template
- Customize your templated call flow
- Assign your call flow to your tracking numbers
Admins and managers are able to create call flows for any company they have access to.
Call flow templates are not restrictive. When you select a call flow template, you can customize each step in the template, insert additional steps, or delete steps to further customize the call flow template as needed.
Once your call flow is assigned to your tracking numbers, we recommend placing a few test calls from a number that's not within your call flow to ensure your calls route as expected.
Create a Templated Call Flow
Call flows are company-specific in your account. Follow the instructions below to create a templated call flow in the company of your choice.
- Choose the company where you’d like to create a call flow.
- Click Tracking at the top of the page.
- Select your Call Flows from the Calls & Texts menu.
- Create a new call flow by clicking + Create New Call Flow at the top right of the page.
You can also click the pencil icon to Edit an existing call flow.
- Select a call flow template from the options below.
- Click Configure Call Flow.
Once you select a template, you can still insert additional steps to customize the call flow as needed.
- Direct to Voicemail routes calls directly to your voicemail without ringing your phone.
- Greeting + Dial + Voicemail plays a message to your caller before routing to your phone. If there’s no answer, your caller reaches your CallRail voicemail.
- Greeting + Menu + Dial plays a message to your caller before directing them to press a number on their keypad to route to a specific person, department, or team.
- Greeting + Simulcall + Voicemail plays a message to your caller before ringing to a group of numbers at the same time (like a customer support team). If there’s no answer, your caller reaches your CallRail voicemail.
- Schedule + Dial + Voicemail schedules calls to route to your phone during selected business hours. Calls made outside those hours will be directed to your CallRail voicemail.
6. Name your call flow at the top of the page. The default name will be the template you selected.
We recommend that you custom name your call flow so you can easily identify it later.
7. Choose your call recording preference at the top of the page. Slide the toggle to ON to record all calls to this call flow. Keep the toggle OFF if you don’t want calls to this flow recorded.
8. Select a country from the drop down if your call flow is outside of the US & Canada
9. Based on the call flow template you selected, enter the fields for each step in your call flow. (In this example, the Greeting > Menu > Dial template has been chosen).
Customize Your Templated Call Flow
Customize your call flow using the pre-populated steps or adding additional steps as needed. Some steps will have default text created for you in the step (such as the Greeting step). You can add or subtract as much text as you’d like to customize your call flow.
- To add a step to your template, click + Insert step here.
- To remove a step from your template, click the X on the top of that module and a confirmation message will appear. You can delete the selected step or delete the selected step plus the additional steps following it. You can also insert a step back into your call flow if you change your mind.
- When you’ve completed your call flow, click Save at the top of the page.
Assigning Your Call Flow
Once you’ve created your call flow, you’ll assign it to your tracking numbers. Since your call flows can be shared, you’re able to assign a single call flow to multiple tracking numbers within the same company in your account. When you assign a call flow to a tracking number, your call routing updates immediately.
Call Flows can only route to a destination number in the country selected at the top of the call flow, or a US/Canada number.
- Choose the company whose call flow you’d like to assign to a tracking number.
- Click Tracking at the top of the page.
- Select your Active Numbers from the Calls & Texts menu.
- Choose the call flow you’d like to assign to a tracking number in the Destination column. Select the call flow from the drop down that you’d like to assign.
- Click Save and update call flow on the prompt.
How do I duplicate a templated call flow?
Use the same steps above to create a new call flow, then select Duplicate Existing Call Flow.
Select an existing call flow from the drop down. You can copy just the steps but not the content of the steps or you can choose to copy all of the steps and the full contents of the call flow including agents, recordings, and destinations.