Campaign Manager (a Google Marketing Platform tool) is a third-party ad server that allows you to create and place ads across the web, create floodlight tags, and view consolidated campaign insights from all your Google platforms. When you integrate CallRail with your existing Google Marketing Platform account, you can view your call conversion data alongside your click-through conversions in Campaign Manager. Use this data to infuse your Floodlight reporting with a custom “call_id” dimension.
Use this article to learn how to:
- Pre-configure your Campaign Manager account
- Set up your integration with Google Marketing Platform
- Authorize your integration with Campaign Manager
- Disable your integration with Google Marketing Platform
If your account is white labeled, only administrators will be able to activate this integration.
Pre-Configure Your Campaign Manager Account
Before integrating with CallRail, you’ll need to select or create a floodlight activity to associate with phone call conversions, create a “call_id” custom variable in your Campaign Manager account, and then add parameters to your campaign. Use the following steps to pre-configure your account for CallRail integration.
- Navigate to your Advertisers page.
- Select or create an Advertiser you’d like to integrate with CallRail.
- Select the Floodlight configuration tab.
- Scroll down and click the Custom Floodlight variables dropdown. Add a Variable with “call_id” as the Friendly name.
- Click Save at the top of the page.
- Click the Floodlight activities tab.
- Select or create a floodlight activity to associate with your CallRail call data. We recommend creating a new floodlight activity (as shown below).
- Click New to create a new floodlight activity to associate with call conversions.
- Title your floodlight activity, so you'll associate with CallRail. For example, "CallRail Call Activity."
- Select Counter for your Type, select an Activity Group, and a Counting Method. Read this Google help document for more information about setting up floodlight activities.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and expand Custom Floodlight variables then select the call_id variable you created in the floodlight configuration.
- Click Save at the top of the page to create your floodlight activity.
- Navigate to the Campaigns page.
- Click the campaign that will lead to your floodlight.
- Select Properties at the top right of the page.
- Scroll to the Landing page URL suffix dropdown, then copy and paste &dcid=%m&rand=%n into the URL suffix field.
- Add the following query parameters underneath URL suffix:
- Select “&” and enter “dcid” for the Delimiter Key. Set it equal to “%m”. Select “Match code macro (%m)”
- Select “&” and enter “rand” for the Delimiter Key. Set it equal to “%n”. Select “Random number macro (%n)”
Use the screenshot below as a reference for how you should set the query parameters.
16. Click Save at the top of the page.
Set Up Your Integration with Google Marketing Platform
After you’ve pre-configured your account, navigate back to the Google Marketing Platform Integration page in CallRail.
- Choose the company you'd like to integrate with Google Marketing Platform.
2. Click Settings at the top of the page.
3. Choose Google Marketing Platform from the list of available integrations and click Activate.
4. Enter your Google Marketing Platform account information so CallRail knows where to report conversions (see next steps for where to find each field in your Campaign Manager account).
5. Click your profile at the top right of your Campaign Manager account. Your Account ID is the number next to your account name.
6. Your Profile ID is the number next to your username.
7. Your Custom Variable Number is the number in the Variable column next to your "call_id" floodlight variable you created (in this case the number is 1).
8. Your Floodlight Activity ID is listed next to the floodlight activity you created.
9. Your Floodlight Configuration ID is listed as your Advertiser ID when the advertiser is selected that you're integrating with CallRail.
9. Click Authorize at the bottom of the page to connect CallRail to your Campaign Manager platform.
Authorize Your Integration with Google
In order for CallRail to report call conversions to your Campaign Manager account, you will need to allow CallRail to view and manage information across your Google platforms.
1. Click Allow to authorize your CallRail integration with Google Marketing Platform.
2. Once you’ve authorized your integration, your Campaign Manager account information will "lock" onto this the integration page in CallRail. If you need to change the settings of your integration, you'll first disable the integration, then re-authorize your integration with updated information.
Disable Your Google Marketing Platform Integration
Disabling a company's integration will prevent your call data from reporting to your Campaign Manager account. We'll keep your integration credentials saved in case you'd like to re-activate your integration in the future.
1. Choose the company you'd like to disable the Google Marketing Platform integration.
2. Click Settings at the top of the page.
3. Locate Google Marketing Platform from the list of integrations and click Configure.
4. Select Disable Integration on the right side of the page.
Pull Call Conversion Reporting in Google Marketing Platform
After setting up your integration, you can pull call dimension reporting in your Google Marketing Platform using the following instructions.
- Click the app switcher icon at the top of your dashboard.
- Choose Reporting & Attribution in the drop-down.
- Select Report Builder on the top menu.
- Select the Offline Reporting tab and click New Offline Report.
- Select the report type as Standard > Conversions in the drop down.
- Title your report at the top of the page.
- Select a date range for your report.
- Choose a file type for your report.
- Select a Floodlight Configuration that contains the call_id custom variable. You can select multiple floodlight configurations if needed.
- Add an Activities from the drop-down that is associated with your custom call Variable with “call_id” as the Friendly name (that you created in set up). You can select multiple activities if needed.
- Click + add / remove under Dimensions.
- Scroll to Custom Floodlight Variables and select your call_id Floodlight Variable.
- Add other reporting Metrics and Dimensions to this report as needed.
Read this Google Marketing Platform help article for more information on reporting Metrics and Dimensions.
- Create a schedule to automatically generate this report on a regular basis or skip this step to generate a one time report.
- Click Run Now to generate the report.
Does this integration work with DoubleClick for Search (DS)?
This integration is specific to Campaign Manager and cannot push call data into DoubleClick for Search (DS) since it's a separate platform. However, there is a way to use our call log report to pull call data with “click ID” (GCLID) parameters from DS.
Use these instructions to learn how to export your call log data.
Use these instructions to set up an automatic company summary email with your call log report.