Form tracking helps you quickly capture information about leads, shorten response times, and generate more conversions for your business. Form tracking can sometimes be tricky to implement since there are multiple form helpers, builders, and plugins that submit forms differently.
External form tracking is compatible with many form providers, including:
- Gravity Forms
- Contact Form 7
- HubSpot Forms
However, it is currently unavailable for some providers, such as Typeform, and for forms hosted in an iFrame or on a URL separate from where the swap script is installed. If you’re uncertain if your form provider is compatible with external form tracking, please contact support. If your current form provider is not supported but you wish to track form submissions with CallRail, consider creating a custom form.
Verify that External Form Tracking is Enabled
Before you can start tracking an External Form, you must enable External Form tracking in your CallRail account. To confirm that external for tracking is enabled follow these steps:
- Choose the company where you’d like to track forms.
- Click Tracking at the top of the page.
- Select External Forms in the left menu.
- If External Form tracking is enabled, the Disable External Forms button will appear int he help well in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
- If you have not yet activated External Form tracking, follow the steps listed in the Form Tracking Basics support article and click Activate.
Check your form tracking settings for ignored fields.
The ignored fields section of your form tracking set up page will show a list of fields that a user has manually asked us to ignore. Check your company’s account to make sure that ignored fields aren’t listed for items you’d like to see on your CallRail form submissions dashboard.
The following steps require familiarity with the backend of your website. If you are unfamiliar with editing code on your page, you may wish to contact a web developer for assistance.
The following instructions are specific to Google Chrome; if you're using another browser type for troubleshooting, these steps may not accurately reflect menu options.
Use the Inspect Button to Troubleshoot the Submit Event
- Go to the page on your website that features a form. Use your mouse to right-click on the form.
- On the menu that appears below where you clicked, select Inspect.
- Look for the form code and highlight it. The beginning of the form code is indicated by the <form tag.
- Look for the phrase cr-attached=’true’ within the code. If you cannot find that phrase, look for the phrase cr-form-attach-retry=true.
- If you see one of those phrases and you’re still not receiving form submissions, contact support for additional troubleshooting help.
- If you don’t see either phrase, follow the steps below to install your custom code.
Add Custom Code
To manually attach an event listener for form submissions, follow the steps below.
- Check that the code for your form is formatted like this:
<form id="myform" action="/request-quote" method="post">
<input type="text" name="Email">
<!-- this form will be captured,
but the captcha will be excluded. -->
<input type="text" name="captcha" data-cr-no-capture>
- If it is, your custom code will look like this:
var form = document.querySelector('#myform');
If you’re still experiencing issues, reach out to our support team for additional help.
I'm seeing my form leads, but I'm not receiving notifications for form submissions.
You can set up email, phone call, and text alerts for form submission activity. If your form submission leads are showing in CallRail, but you're not receiving alerts use this help article to troubleshoot.