This report is currently in a free beta trial period. We're still working out all the kinks, so bear with us during the construction phase. Lots of exciting enhancements coming!
Enjoy your free sneak peek of Multi-Touch CPL until September 18th!
You can pre-order Multi-Touch CPL for an introductory price before the free beta trial ends. After September 18th, this report will be available as an add-on reporting feature in your account.
For the free beta trial period, this report is accessible to administrator users only. Managers, reporting, and notification users will not be able to view this report.
The Multi-Touch Cost per Lead report gives you a calculated cost per lead for each of your Google AdWords campaigns based on the attribution model of your choice. With this report, you can measure which AdWords campaigns, ads groups, keywords, and individual ads are the driving the most cost-effective leads for your business.
Use this article to learn how to:
- Access your Multi-Touch Cost per Lead report
- Choose an attribution model
- Filter your reporting data
- Export your Multi-Touch Cost per Lead report
Until September 18th, the Multi-Touch Cost per Lead report is only accessible by administrators in your CallRail account. If you pre-order the Multi-Touch CPL report or purchase it after the free beta period, it will be available to all companies and all user-levels.
The Multi-Touch Cost per Lead report requires the following:
- Keyword-level tracking with dynamic number insertion installed on your website. Use this help article to set up a keyword tracking pool.
- An active AdWords integration for each company where you'd like to see the Cost per Lead report. Use this help article to set up your AdWords integration.
Two important notes about your CPL report:
- If you have an active AdWords integration, but your report is showing Cost per Lead data as "n/a" you'll need to re-authorize your AdWords integration to ensure that AdWords data can be sent to CallRail. After you authorize AdWords, it will take up to 24 hours for your first batch of CPL data to populate. Follow these steps to authorize your AdWords integration and receive cost per lead data.
- There is a 48-hour window where the data we’re pulling from AdWords might not be correctly attributed. After 48 hours, all the data should settle and match the correct campaign attributions. We recommend waiting at least 48 hours for accurate reporting on your AdWords CPL.
Multi-Touch Cost per Lead Overview
Use these instructions to access your Multi-Touch Cost per Lead report for a specific company.
- Choose the company whose Mult-Touch Cost per Lead report you'd like to view.
- Select Reports at the top of the page.
- Select Multi-Touch Cost per Lead under Acquisition.
- This will bring up your Cost per Lead report for the company you’ve selected with a calculation of cost per lead for every active AdWords campaign in your account.
- Each column illustrates which of your AdWords campaign > ad group > keyword/ad ID sets are generating raw leads.
- The first row of numbers in bold illustrate the totals across all your AdWords campaigns.
- The Campaign column shows the name of each AdWords campaign as it’s configured in your AdWords account.
- The Ad Group column displays the name of each AdWords ad group as it’s configured in your AdWords account.
- The Keyword/Ad ID column shows the keyword or ad ID associated with the AdWords campaign in that row.
- The Raw Leads column provides the total number of raw leads for the campaign > ad group > keyword/ad ID in that row based on the attribution model and time frame you’ve selected.
- The Cost column shows the cost of the AdWords campaign > ad group > keyword/ad ID in that row from your AdWords account based on the time frame you’ve selected.
- The Cost per Lead column is a calculation of your cost per lead based on the cost for that campaign > ad group > keyword/ad ID set divided by the number of raw leads in that same row.
Choose an Attribution Model
You can calculate cost per lead based on our three attribution models: a First Touch Model, Lead Creation Model, or 50/50 Model. Each model attributes lead credit to different milestones in the sales funnel, so you can see which ads drive which kinds of touchpoints and compare it to the cost of the ad. Choosing different attribution models will change your cost per lead total based on how that model weighs each milestone.
- Click the drop-down above the chart to choose an attribution model.
- Select an attribution model to see your AdWords cost per lead calculation for that model.
- Select the First Touch Model to give 100% credit to the first touchpoint a customer engaged with.
- Select the Lead Creation Model to give 100% credit to the last touchpoint before a customer calls one of your tracking numbers and became a raw lead.
- Select the 50/50 Model to split cost per lead credit evenly between the First Touch milestone and the Lead Creation milestone.
- Select the Qualified Model to give 100% credit to the last touchpoint before a customer is scored as a qualified lead. Leads can be scored manually, keypad scoring, or automatically through CallScore.
- Select the W-Shaped Model to split cost per lead credit evenly between the First Touch milestone, Lead Creation milestone, and the Qualified milestone with one-third credit assigned to each.
Filter Report Data
Apply filters to your report to see cost per lead for a specific time frame.
- Click the Filter by button above the chart.
- Select a Date Range filter to your report.
- Click Apply to see the report with your selected filters.
- Select the Save Filter Set Icon to keep this filter set saved for later use.
Export Your Report
You can export the data from your Multi-Touch Cost per Lead report to a CSV file.
- Click the Export CSV button at the top right of the chart to download a CSV file of your attribution report with current filters and attribution model applied.
You can pre-order the Multi-Touch CPL report for your account for an introductory rate before September 18th. This will ensure you don't have any disruption in your CPL reporting after the free beta period ends.
The introductory rate is based on your current pricing plan:
- Starter: $5/account/month
- Pro: $15/account/month
- Plus and above: $25/account/month
After September 18th, if you pre-order or purchase the Multi-Touch Cost per Lead report for your account, it will then be available for all companies and all user-levels in your account.
Who can see this report?
During the free beta trial period, only administrators in your CallRail account can view the Multi-Touch Cost per Lead report. After September 18th, it will be available as an add-on reporting feature viewable by all companies and all users levels.
Why do I see n/a for my cost per lead?
If you have an active AdWords integration, but your report is showing n/a in the Cost Per Lead column, you'll need to re-authorize your AdWords integration to ensure that data can be sent to CallRail.
Why does my data for today look incorrect?
AdWords has a 48-hour window where the data we’re pulling from the AdWords API might not be correctly attributed. After 48 hours, all the data should match the correct campaign attributions. We recommend waiting 48 hours for accurate reporting on your AdWords CPL.
How does measuring CPL work over time?
Time is an important factor for cost per lead reporting. Often times, First Touch and Lead Creation milestones do not occur in the same week or month, which means that attribution data can backfill over time. When you’re using keyword pools, we won’t have a customer’s First Touch session data until they call one of your tracking numbers (the lead creation event). That means a First Touch can backfill in your CPL reports and lower your cost per lead for that time frame.
Here’s an example: In January, Jim clicks on a Google Paid ad, browses a couple of pages of your website, but doesn’t make a call. In February, Jim googles your company name to find your website again (a Google Organic touchpoint) and makes a call to the tracking number on your website. Jim’s First Touch is the first Google Paid ad he clicked on, but that session data for January (when he clicked the ad) won’t show on your January CPL report until he calls you in February and we’re able to capture that session data. So once Jim calls your tracking number as his lead creation event, your January first touch will populate and lower the cost per lead for that First Touch source.
What about cookie expiration?
Our dynamic number insertion has a default cookie expiration of one year. You can also set a custom cookie expiration for your account. Once a visitor’s cookies expire or a visitor clears their cookies, they’ll be treated as a new visitor.
How does CPL work with source tracking numbers?
A first time call to one of your source tracking numbers will always populate as a First Touch and a Lead Creation touch. This is because source tracking numbers do not have session data attached (like keyword pools), so the first call always serves as the first known touchpoint for that customer. That's why you need keyword pools with session tracking in order to get accurate attribution data for this report.
How are outbound calls attributed?
Outbound first touches (ex. Sales team reaching out to potential customers) will show as a first touch unless session data reveals when the customer calls again that they had interacted with advertising before the outbound call. The outbound call will still be recorded in the visitor timeline.