First, Clear Your Cookies
Before you test, clear your cookies. Each test must be performed as if you are a brand new visitor; otherwise, number swapping will not work as expected. (If you’ve navigated directly to the website before, CallRail will identify you as a “direct” visitor, rather than as a visitor from the tracking source you’re testing).
If you prefer to test dynamic number insertion without clearing your cookies, you can do so by accessing the website in a private browsing window. Using a private browsing window (like Incognito mode in Google Chrome) allows you to simulate yourself as a first-time visitor to the website. It's important to ensure no other private browsing windows are open when testing number swapping using this method.
Simulate an Organic Visit
For the purpose of this example, we’ll assume you’re testing a “Google Organic” tracking number.
- Clear your cookies, or open a fresh private web browser.
- Navigate to the source website (ie. Google.com).
- Search for your full URL on the search engine (ie. “www.yoursite.com”)
- In the search results, click the link to your website.
- Navigate to a page containing the phone number.
- Confirm that the tracking number is displayed. If so, congratulations, it works!
Simulate a Google PPC Click
For Google Ads, you can manually simulate a click without requiring you to click on an ad by appending "?gclid=test" to your URL.
For example: https://www.yourwebsite.com/?gclid=test
Simulate a Bing Paid Click
- Download the RefControl plugin --> RefControl
- Go to Tools --> RefControl Options --> Add Site
- Type in your site's address: “www.yoursite.com”
- Select Custom and type in http://www.bing.com
- Click "OK" then clear your cookies
- Type in www.yoursite.com/?utm_medium=cpc to test the swap
Mimic Mobile Devices
You can test dynamic number insertion for popular mobile devices like iPhones, iPads, Androids, etc using the Google Chrome browser's mobile emulation feature. Use the same techniques listed above for simulating visits when opening the source website using mobile emulation.
The following Chrome documentation details the steps to enable the mobile emulation feature: Google Chrome Mobile Emulation
If you’re having trouble, we’re happy to help. Contact us and be sure to include a link to the website where you've installed the dynamic number insertion code.