How to use a CallRail tracking number with Google My Business
By using a CallRail tracking number in your Google My Business listing, you’ll get a complete set of accurate data for every lead—with no risk of damaging your Google search position.
What is a Google My Business (GMB) listing?
Every business that serves a specific geographical area can set up a GMB listing. Listings display on search results pages and Google Maps when someone searches your business or keywords your business ranks high for.
As the business owner or representative, you verify your identity with Google, then provide basic information including the business name, address, hours, and phone number.
What is NAP Consistency?
NAP consistency, a.k.a. citation consistency, is designed to make sure your business uses the same name, address, and phone number in multiple places online. It was once considered an important ranking factor in local SEO, although most industry experts agree that it no longer carries much impact.
Still, it’s a good practice to keep your main business number connected to the local search ecosystem. GMB allows you to enter an additional number associated with your business, so you can display a CallRail tracking number in your GMB listing while also including your main business number as part of your GMB profile.
How to use a CallRail tracking number in a GMB listing
- Go into the GMB dashboard of the location you wish to edit, and click on the Info tab to update your contact information.
- Click the pencil icon in the box that lists your phone numbers.
- Under the phone number section, you are provided with two options: Primary phone and Additional phone. Enter your CallRail tracking number in the Primary phone field.
- Enter your main business number in the Additional phone field.
By adding your main business number as an additional phone number, you are ensuring it stays connected in the local search ecosystem and preventing any NAP consistency issues.
Note: Only your primary number will show in your GMB listing. The additional numbers will only display if you have a Google business website.
How to track callers from your website who first clicked your GMB listing
People accessing your GMB listing with mobile phones (or desktops with the ability to make phone calls) can click on your phone number in the listing and automatically dial your business. This is how most callers reach you.
However, people can also click on the “website” button included in the GMB listing, go to your website, and call you from the number listed there. CallRail’s advanced tracking capabilities can trace these calls back to your GMB listing as well.
- First, create a custom URL using Google’s Campaign URL Builder. Enter a URL name such as “GMB.”
- Once you have your campaign URL, you’ll add it to your GMB account. If you’re setting up your GMB account for the first time, you can enter the URL as part of the setup process.
- If your GMB account is already active, access your GMB dashboard for the location you wish to edit and click on the Info tab.
- Click the pencil icon next to your business URL and enter the custom campaign URL for GMB.
- Next, you’ll create a campaign-level tracking number in CallRail using your custom URL parameter.
Traffic from Google Maps to your website (coming soon)