CallRail’s chat feature allows you to track and respond to each chat message sent via your website. Each time a customer sends a chat message, we’ll instantly alert you by desktop message or email. This allows you to increase your lead conversion rate.
Please note that customers will be able to send you chat messages immediately after you enable the chat widget from the “Chat Widget” page in Tracking.
Set Up a Chat Widget
CallRail allows one chat widget per company within your account. Use these instructions for each company where you'd like to chat with customers.
- Choose the company where you’d like to use chat tracking.
- Click Tracking at the top of the page.
- Select Chat Widget in the left menu.
- (Optional) If you would like to edit specific messaging, chat fields, and styling, click Chat Builder in the Customize your chat widget section of the page. Configure your customizations through the steps in Chat Builder and click Finish or one of the cards that describe “next steps” after you have completed customization.
- Click the slider to ON within the Activate your chat widget section.
- View your website in a private/incognito browser window to test.
Your chat widget will be available for visitors to send you messages as long as it is enabled. If you’ve enabled email and/or desktop notifications (detailed below), you will receive notifications for available chat conversations, missed chat messages, and new chat messages. Please be aware that Internet Explorer does not support desktop notifications.
Creating Chat Notifications
CallRail allows your users to receive email and desktop notifications for your chat conversations. During beta, you will be able to receive email notifications for available and missed chat messages. When you allow desktop notifications on your browser, you will receive notifications for available chat conversations, missed chat messages, and new chat messages.
By default, we'll display the number of unread messages in the browser tab title for any chat you are not focused on when you are outside the Chat Center tab. Internet Explorer does not support desktop notifications.
- Click the Account icon in the top left to open the My Account panel, then click Notifications.
- Select Chat Conversations from the Notifications section in the left menu.
- Click Create Notification.
- Choose the company we should include in your chat notification email, and choose the user on your account who should receive this email. Only administrators and managers on your account will be able to choose a different user than themselves on this step. Reporting users can only create notifications for their own login. Click Customize when you're ready to move to the next step.
- Choose which alerts you'd like to receive via email or as a desktop notification.
- Click Save when finished.
Configure Your Display Name
CallRail allows your Chat Agents to customize how their name will be displayed to visitors during chat conversations.
- Click the Account icon in the top left to open the My Account panel, then click My Profile.
- Enter your chat display name in the Chat Display Name field.
- Click Save User at the bottom of the page.
Answer and Review Your Recent Chat Conversations
You can answer and review recent chat conversations by visiting your Chat Center. To do this, click on the Chat Center button in the main navigation on the left side of the page.