About the California Consumer Privacy Act and CallRail
First, a disclaimer: The information we discuss in this article is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to serve as legal advice. CallRail customers and prospects should work closely with their legal counsel and other professional advisers to determine exactly how the CCPA may or may not apply to them.
What is the CCPA?
The CCPA is a set of regulations put into law that grants new rights to California consumers:
- The right to know what personal information is being collected about them.
- The right to know whether their personal information is sold or disclosed and to whom.
- The right to say no to the sale of personal information.
- The right to access (or request deletion of) their personal information.
- The right to equal service and price, even if they exercise their privacy rights.
- The right to data portability.
Who does the CCPA apply to?
The CCPA applies to “businesses,” which are companies that collect personal information from California residents and meet ONE or more of these minimum thresholds:
- Has annual gross revenues in excess of $25 million.
- “Collects” or “Sells” the personal information of 50,000 or more consumers, households or devices.
- Derives 50% or more of its annual revenues from selling consumers’ personal information.
CCPA also applies to “Service Providers,” which are companies that process personal information in the course of providing their services to businesses, and to “Third Parties” that receive personal information from businesses (often called “data brokers”).
Note: CCPA is a new law, and the California Attorney General has not yet published the final CCPA regulations that will affect how businesses and service providers interpret the law and respond to consumer requests. We encourage our customers to monitor these developments in 2020.
If you have questions about CallRail’s CCPA compliance, or for support with any California consumer requests that you receive about CCPA, please send your request to our Privacy Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.