Source-level call tracking allows you to create a unique tracking phone number for each marketing campaign you want to track. However, if you're looking to receive PPC keyword data for your calls, see visitor timelines for callers, or if you're looking to see your calls as conversions within Google Ads, you'll want to use visitor-level call tracking.
Here are some of the key differences between source tracking and visitor tracking:
Changing to Visitor Tracking
Create a website pool for your account. This is a pool of at least 4 tracking numbers that swaps to provide session-level data for each visitor.
Important Note: Swap Precedence
For example, if you have a source tracking number configured to track, "Google PPC," and a website pool to track "All Website Visitors," the source tracking number would take precedence over the website pool, and your calls would not show as conversions in Google Ads.
To ensure that source tracking numbers are not interfering with a website pool, you'll want to either disable the source tracking number(s) or change the configuration of the source tracking number so that it's not tracking the same campaigns as the website pool.
Updating Your Source Tracking Number
Use these instructions to update your source tracking number so as not to interfere with your website pool.
- Click the Settings icon on the left navigation bar.
- Choose the company where you'd like to add the new tracking numbers.
- Click the Pencil icon for the tracking number you’d like to update to go to its main configuration page.
- On the next screen, click the Pencil icon in the upper-right of the Number Options menu.
- Under Tracking Sources, select Offline (or another source that does not interfere with the website pool) from the tracking source category.
- Select Save at the bottom of the section