You can track your display ads inside CallRail using both visitor tracking and source tracking. Display ads can be tracked as part of a Google Ads campaign when using a website pool, or you can track your display ads individually by using a single source tracking number.
There are two ways to track display ads in CallRail. Source tracking will give you an aggregate number of calls coming from a display ad, while visitor tracking reports calls to your display ads as Google Ads. You can receive keyword data for calls to your display ads with a website pool.
To learn more about creating display ads on Google’s network, read this Google help article:
Track Display Ads Using Visitor Tracking
Display ads must be configured with campaign tracking parameters in your Google Ads account in order for them to appear in CallRail.
Before your caller's timelines can display this kind of data, you'll need an active website pool:
Once your display campaigns have received calls, you can navigate to your caller's timelines to see their display campaign data. Display Ads will appear as "Google Ads" in your call log. Calls reported to Google Analytics and Google Ads will be reported with the original user visitor session, which will link the call back to the ad, placement or click in Google Ads.
Track Display Ads Using Source-Level Tracking
Display ads can be tracked using a single source tracking number that is configured to track landing parameters. Keyword data will not be available for calls that are tracked at the source-level, but these calls will be separated from other Google Ads calls.
- Click the Create (+) icon in the navigation bar on the left and select Phone Number.
- Choose the company where you'd like to add your new tracking number.
- The new number wizard will appear on your screen. The first question asks, "Where do you want to use this tracking number?" Select I’ll use it online since this tracking number is for a landing page.
- Select On my website since this tracking number will dynamically replace the telephone number on a landing page.
- Select Calls only since you'll be tracking ad clicks instead of keywords or web sessions.
- Name your tracking number for your reports, and enter the destination number where your calls should route. Then, click Next: Tracking Options.
- Select the option Landing Page/Parameter and enter the parameter you'd like to use (this will be the same parameter you add to your landing URL). In this example, we'll use "utm_campaign=display." Then, click Choose a Phone Number.
- Choose your tracking phone number from the list of available numbers. If you want your number to have a different area code, click Change Area Code and enter your preferred area code. Then, click Number Features.
- Configure your whisper message and call recording. When you're finished, click Activate Tracking Number.
- Once you've completed the number creation process, you can choose one of the suggested next steps to further configure your new tracking number, or Go to Activity Dashboard to close the number creation wizard.
View Calls From a Source-Level Display Ad
Calls from display ads with source-level tracking numbers will appear in both your call log and Call Attribution report. These calls appear under the name you gave your tracking number. For example, a call from a number named "Display Ad Tracking Number" would appear as "Display Ad Tracking Number - utm_source=display."
Does CallRail track conversions from my display ads?
Yes, if the following conditions are met:
- The ad must result in a click-through to your site before the call.
- The ad must be served through Google Ads.
- Auto-tagging must be enabled in your Google Ads account.
Display ads served from Campaign Manager or Display & Video 360 use different URL parameters and do not report to Google Ads as conversions, but our Google Marketing Platform integration can be used to capture conversions from Campaign Manager ads.