Porting a number from Google Voice to CallRail allows you to transfer your Google Voice number into your CallRail account. Once the porting process is complete, your Google Voice number will become a CallRail tracking number that you can use in your marketing campaigns.
A credit card must be added to the account in order to begin the porting process.
On average, it takes 4-6 weeks from the time we receive your documents to the time your number is ported. Your number may be transferred at any time during this window. We will pre-configure your numbers within your account to ensure there is no downtime when the number is transferred.
Do not cancel your service with your existing provider until you have confirmed the port is complete. If you cancel your service before the port is complete, your existing provider may cancel your phone number and you may be unable to transfer or recover it.
Once the number is ported into CallRail, standard per-number and per-minute fees apply (just like your other CallRail numbers).
Unlock your Google Voice number
Before submitting a port request in your CallRail account, you'll need to unlock the Google Voice phone numbers you'd like to port to CallRail. As you unlock your number(s), you'll need a screenshot of the page that confirms you've unlocked these numbers in your Google Voice account. This will serve as the "Most Recent Invoice" we'll need to port your numbers to CallRail. The next set of instructions in this article will walk you through uploading this screenshot.
Here's how to unlock your phone numbers in Google Voice.
Port your number to CallRail from Google Voice
Use these instructions to submit a port request for an unlocked Google Voice number.
- Click the Settings icon on the left navigation bar.
- Choose the company where you'd like to port in the Google Voice number.
- Choose Porting In from the Calls & Texts header on the left.
- Click the Create Port Request button at the top of the screen to begin creating your port request.
- Type in the desired name for your port request under the Port Request Name header.
- Under the Numbers header, click the CSV template link to download the file and list all the numbers you plan to port. To be accepted, the CSV file must include:
- Tracking number(s) that you want to port.
- Forwarding number(s) that each tracking number should forward to.
- Each tracking number's name and source.
- Companies with your account the tracking number(s) should be placed within.
- Click the Upload CSV button to upload the CSV file.
- Under the Most Recent Invoice header, click the Upload PDF button to upload the screenshot of your Google Voice numbers that you unlocked using the previous set of instructions in this article.
- Under the Letter of Authorization header, select whether you or someone else will sign the Letter of Authorization. If you fill out the document, complete the requested information. If you’re sending the document to someone else, provide the recipient’s name and email address in the appropriate fields.
- Click on the Submit button when all requested information has been provided.
- Follow the progress of your port requests within the table. You will be able to see the name of each port request, who submitted the request, the date the request was made, and the status of each request. Note: When client managers submit port requests, they'll only see a list of the requests they have submitted within the table.
- Optional: Click the Eye icon at the end of each row of the table to see a summary card of each port request. This card includes the account name, the port name, who made the port request, and the request date. There also are links to the most recent invoice provided and to the document that shows which numbers are to be ported.
- Optional: Click the Pencil icon within each row of the table to see the unfinished Letter of Authorization if you need to complete the document to finish the port request.
If you have questions, you’re always welcome to contact our support team. Thank you for porting your phone number into CallRail!
Does it cost anything to port a number to CallRail?
Nope! There's no cost on CallRail's end to port a number into our system; however, we recommend contacting the carrier you're transferring from to ensure they don't charge any port-out fees.
Can I port my number out of CallRail?
Absolutely. If you wish to port your number out to another provider, the receiving provider will assist you with initiating the port. Due to issues outside our control, the process typically takes 4-6 weeks. During this time, do not close your CallRail account until you have confirmed that the port has completed successfully.
Which numbers can be ported?
Currently, only local and toll-free US and Canadian phone numbers can be ported out of Google Voice.
How do I cancel my porting request?
You can reply to your existing Support ticket and request the port be canceled, or you can submit a new ticket.