Using a Menu step in the Call Flow Builder, you can prompt your callers to press a number on their keypad to route to a specific person, department, or team. For example, with the Menu step, you can direct callers to "press 1 for sales, 2 for support, or 3 for billing."
Often known as an IVR or a phone tree, your callers are forwarded to the appropriate departments or agents based on their selection at the prompt. The prompt can be read in an automated voice using the Call Flow Builder, or you can upload your own recording to inform callers how to navigate your menu.
Once your call flow is set up, you’ll assign it to the appropriate tracking numbers. You can assign the same call flow to multiple tracking numbers.
We recommend placing a few test calls from a telephone number that’s not included within your call flow to ensure your calls are routing as expected once your call flow is assigned to a tracking number.
Create a Menu step
Call flows are company-specific in your account. Follow the instructions below to create a call flow with a Menu step in the company of your choice.
- Click the Settings icon on the left navigation bar.
- Choose the company where you’d like to use a Menu step.
- Click Workflow at the top of the page.
- You can select one of the template options to create a new call flow or you can edit an existing call flow.
- Name your call flow at the top of the page.
- Choose your call recording preference. Slide the toggle to ON to record all calls to this call flow. Keep the toggle OFF if you don’t want calls to this flow recorded.
- Select Menu from the list of available steps.
- Click Read Message and type in the message you'd like CallRail to read to the caller in a female voice. Alternatively, click Play Recording to upload a recording from your computer you'd like to use.
Please note: If you're on a UK or AU plan, you'll have the option to select a language from the dropdown menu above your message.
- Enter destinations or departments for your business and choose the correlating keypad number for each destination. For example, "if the caller presses 1, forward to Sales." The text you enter in these fields won't be read to the caller. The caller only hears the message or recording you choose at the beginning of the menu.
- Select your first menu option and choose a secondary step below the Menu to indicate where calls should forward if the caller presses 1.
- Return to your Menu step. Select your second menu option and choose another secondary step below the Menu to indicate where calls should forward if the caller presses 2. Repeat this step until each menu option has a destination to forward to.
- You can also select the Does nothing option to forward the call to a destination if the caller does not press anything.
NOTE: if the Does nothing option is not enabled, the menu will repeat three times.
- Continue configuring your call flow to your personal preference. Then, click Save at the top of the page to save your call flow.
- In the pop-up window, assign your call flow to one or more of your tracking numbers. Click Assign when done, or click Skip to skip the step for now. If you skip this step, you can assign call flows to tracking numbers on the All Numbers page at any time.