CallRail's integration with HubSpot allows you to send calls and text messages directly to your HubSpot contact activity timelines for a unified look at your lead management. You’ll be able to view caller's contact information and see caller activity information like lifecycle stage, first and last touch, and recent interactions all inside your HubSpot timelines.
If you haven't set up your Hubspot integration yet, follow the instructions in our Integrating with HubSpot support article to do so.
In order for CallRail to send data to HubSpot, you'll need an active tracking number for an online campaign. Both visitor and source tracking numbers report data to HubSpot. However, visitor tracking numbers provide additional call data such as marketing source, landing page, and PPC keywords.
We'll send your tracking number, number name, company name associated with the tracking number, call recording, call duration, and contents of any text message sent or received by a CallRail number as a call or text message activity in your HubSpot contact timelines.
How CallRail Reports Data to HubSpot
Once a call to one of your tracking numbers ends, we'll send the phone call to HubSpot as a call activity. We'll either link the call activity to an existing HubSpot contact or create a new contact using the following process:
- First, we search for a HubSpot tracking cookie that identifies a caller's previous web sessions. If found, we'll link the cookied user with the call to surface the contact in HubSpot.
- If there's no tracking cookie, we'll search your HubSpot contact phone numbers for a match. If a match is found, we'll add the call activity to the existing contact in HubSpot.
- If we can't find any matches for a caller, CallRail will create a new contact with the call activity. You can also choose not to create new leads from CallRail activity on the HubSpot integration page.
If you have enabled HubSpot's feature that auto-assigns contacts based on email address, you may see contacts CallRail creates being assigned to a company unexpectedly. This can be remedied by adding "@call.com" to the list of domains to exclude in this auto-assign feature.
For more details on HubSpot's auto-assign feature for contacts, see their article.
See Your CallRail Activity in HubSpot
Once CallRail adds a call or text message to an existing contact or creates a new contact in HubSpot, you can view calls and texts to your tracking numbers in your contact activity timeline.
- In your HubSpot account, select Contacts in the navigation bar at the top.
- All of your contacts will be updated with any CallRail call or text activity and the corresponding contact properties we send. You can filter your contacts based on these properties in the left sidebar.
- You can also see call and text activity in each contact activity timeline. Each contact will also be updated with all contact properties we send, such as the last tracking number contacted or caller id.
Note: If you're using a CallRail HIPAA account, your Leads & Activity records in Hubspot will not include the Call Recording link.
Trigger Workflows for Phone Calls
You can create workflows in HubSpot that will trigger an action based on your selected criteria whenever you receive a phone call to a tracking number.
If you're transitioning from the HubSpot Legacy integration, use these instructions to clone your existing workflows and set them up to work with this updated integration.
- On your HubSpot Marketing dashboard, click the Automation tab in the navigation bar at the top and select Workflows from the dropdown menu.
- Edit an existing workflow or select Create Workflow.
- Name your workflow.
- Click Set Enrollment Triggers and in the sidebar select Activity, Activity Type, and then Call to create a workflow trigger based on calls.
- You can then further customize your workflow based on other call properties as Trigger Criteria such as call duration, call outcome, and more. For example, these calls will only trigger an action when they are connected calls that last longer than 5 minutes.
- If you’re using website pools, you can also customize workflows based on contact properties such as the Original Source, First Source Contacted, Last Source Contacted, or Last Landing Page.
- Once you've created your trigger criteria, you can add an action or multiple actions to complete your workflow.
What call data is sent to HubSpot?
For all tracking numbers, we'll send:
- Customer phone number
- Call duration
- Call recording link
- First name
- Last name
- Email (formatted as firstname.lastname@example.org)
- CallRail tracking number called and company name
- First source contacted
- First tracking number contacted
- Last source contacted
- Last tracking number contacted
Note: "First source contacted" and "Last source contacted" refer to the names you've set up for the tracking numbers that were called first and last, respectively.
In addition, website pools will also send:
- PPC keyword
- Last landing page visited
Where do I see call activity information in HubSpot?
If you "View all Properties" for a contact's record in HubSpot, you'll see the call data we send to HubSpot within the "Contact Information" and "Analytics History" sections.
All calls to and from tracking numbers will send the call as a call activity in HubSpot with the associated caller ID, call recording, and first and last source contacted.
Calls to visitor tracking numbers will also include the marketing source of the call (such as “google_paid” or “direct”) as well as user call data including landing page of the caller, gclid, and PPC keywords.
Why aren't my contacts being assigned to the right company in Hubspot?
This is likely happening since most of the contacts we send over will have an "@call.com" email address unless they come from a form submission including a different email address.
This can easily be fixed by adding "call.com" to the list of excluded domains for this feature within Hubspot, as detailed in their support article.
Why are some HubSpot leads showing as created from an "offline source"?
If a HubSpot contact is created from a call or text message, it will show as created by an offline source since the contact surfaced from a phone call or text message.
What if I'm using workflows from the HubSpot Legacy integration?
If you're transitioning from the HubSpot Legacy integration, use the instructions in this help article to update your workflows to work with the current integration.
I'm on the legacy Calls Lite plan. Why do I see HubSpot in my account?
Usually, this indicates that your account is also subscribed to the Marketing Analytics plan. The Marketing Analytics plan includes the HubSpot integration, which you'll have access to if you're on the Calls Lite plan.