There are a few important details you’ll need to know before you get started with dynamic number insertion:
- Dynamic number insertion detects multiple number formats, including:
111-222-3333, 111.222.3333, and (111) 222-3333.
- Special steps are necessary to swap phone numbers in images.
- CallRail’s swap.js code must be embedded on the visitor’s landing page, as well as each page on your website that displays a phone number. Ideally, swap.js should be installed on every page of your website.
Installing with Google Tag Manager
- Click the Settings icon on the left navigation bar.
- Choose the company where you'd like to activate Google Tag Manager.
- Click Integrations at the top of the page.
- Choose Google Tag Manager from the list of integrations.
- Open a separate browser tab and log into your Google Tag Manager account. Then navigate to the domain where the installation takes place.
- Click Add a New Tag.
- Name the tag at the top of the page, then select the box labeled Tag Configuration.
- Select Custom HTML under the section Custom.
- Copy the code snippet from the Google Tag Manager page within CallRail to the HTML box in Google Tag Manager.
- Select the Triggering box, and choose your trigger. We recommend setting your script to fire on all pages of your website by selecting the + at the top of the page, then clicking Page View > All Page Views.
- Click Save to add your tag to your workspace.
- Once your tag has been added to your workspace according to these instructions, click Publish at the top of the page to activate the script on your website.
Why isn’t my telephone number swapping?
Have you cleared your cookies, or tried accessing the website in a private browsing session? The most important part of testing dynamic number insertion is to simulate the experience of a first-time visitor before testing. Otherwise, the swap code will detect you as a visitor to the website from a previous session.
Learn more about testing dynamic number insertion with this help article.
Can I have a white-labeled version of my swap code?
Yes. Use the instructions above when logged into CallRail via your white label domain to access a white label version of your swap script.