Visitor tracking allows you to track every marketing campaign that leads to your website with a pool of numbers that dynamically swaps for each new visitor. With visitor tracking, you can correlate calls to unique website visitors and track which PPC keywords you're bidding on are driving the most phone calls.
Note: a website pool is required to report on calls by PPC keyword or to send call conversions to ad platforms like Google Ads.
If you'd like to add more than one website pool per company, you can follow the instructions in our support article to enable multiple website pools in your account and then return to this guide.
To create a website pool for countries outside the United States and Canada, our support team will need to update your account first. Read this article to learn more about call tracking in your country.
What sources can be tracked?
Here's a full list of the sources you'll be able to track using your website pool:
All Website Visitors: track every visitor to your website, regardless of their marketing source. *This is the method we recommend in most cases.
Google Ads: track only visitors who came to your website from your Google Ads campaigns.
PPC Search: track only visitors from your Google, Bing, and Yahoo ads.
Landing Page: track only visitors who land on a specific page on your website. You can enter a domain to track, like www.example.com/greatpage, to track a specific page on your website. You can also enter a specific parameter to track, like utm_campaign=ppc1, to get keyword data for specific campaigns.
Referring Page: track only visitors from a specific website, like yelp.com.
All Except Direct: track all website visitors except for those who enter your website URL and navigate to your site directly.
All Except Direct & Organic: track all website visitors except for those who find your website through organic search engine results or by typing in your website's URL and navigating to your site directly.
Create a Website Pool
- Click the Create (+) icon in the navigation bar on the left and select Phone Number.
- Choose the company where you'd like to add your new tracking number.
- The new number wizard will appear on your screen. Select I'll use it online when the first question asks, "Where do you want to use this tracking number?" since this tracking pool is for a web campaign.
- Select On my website since these numbers will dynamically replace the telephone number on your website.
- Select Calls, keywords, & web sessions since this pool targets each individual visitor's session on your website.
- Set up your call routing by entering the telephone number where we should route your calls. This is typically your primary business number. If you're using Lead Center, you'll see a second option for Lead Center's softphone you can select instead to route calls to a Lead Center Agent or Team. Then, click Tracking Options to move to the next step.
- Select the source(s) you'd like to track. A full explanation of these sources is available at the beginning of this article. Then, click Website Pool Setup.
- On the next step, type in the name of your pool, and enter the pool size that you prefer. The name you enter is how your website pool will appear within your reports.
Note: When creating a website pool, the minimum requirement is 4 numbers. This is to reduce the chance of a visitor-to-call misattribution. For more details on assessing website pool size, please see this help article.
- To create a website pool with numbers from a specific local area code, enter your desired area code in the first box. To create a website pool with toll-free numbers, choose the second box, and select one of the available toll-free area codes from the drop-down. Then, click Number Features to move to the next step.
- Configure a whisper message and call recording. When you are finished, click Activate Tracking Number.
- To purchase an Australian or UK tracking number, please provide an address to associate with the tracking number. This does not have to be a local address and can be your business's main address.
- Once you've completed the number creation process, you can choose one of the suggested next steps to further configure your new tracking numbers, or Go to Activity Dashboard to close the number creation wizard.
Implement Visitor Tracking
For more information about the differences between source tracking and visitor tracking, watch the video below.