Location extensions are a type of ad extension that display on your Google ads. In this article, you'll learn how to create and use a tracking number as a location extension.
If you'd like to learn more about Google Ads location extensions, you can use this support article instead.
Using CallRail's Google My Business integration to set a tracking number as a location extension
CallRail's Google My Business (GMB) integration can be used to designate a tracking number for use as a location extension, or even create a new one pre-configured for this specific task.
Note: If you haven't set up your GMB integration yet, you can follow the steps in this article to do so.
- Within an active GMB integration, go to the Assign a tracking number section.
- Under Ad Location Extension Number, click the dropdown menu to select an existing tracking number for use or create a new one.
- After a number is chosen, remember to click Activate to save changes (or Update if you are adjusting an existing integration).
- You will now need to add your number in GMB itself. Use the instructions in the following section pertaining to GMB navigation to add or modify a tracking number for use as a location extension.
How to manually create and use a tracking number as a location extension
While our native GMB integration is the easiest way to implement location extensions, a more manual method may be necessary. This is especially applicable if you're managing multiple businesses and aren't using separate company sub-accounts in CallRail to give them their own integration.
Creating a number
- Log in to your CallRail account, and from the homepage, click Create Number to create a new number, or click the Create (+) icon in the left navigation bar and select Phone Number.
- Choose the company with which you'd like to use your new tracking number.
- The new number wizard will appear on your screen. The first question asks, "Where do you want to use this tracking number?" Select I’ll use it online.
- Select Somewhere else since this number will display in your ad and not your website.
- Select Yes, in an ad extension to use this number in your Google Ads call extension.
- Select On desktop and mobile devices since your location extension may be displayed on both desktop and mobile devices.
- Name your tracking number for your reports, and enter the forwarding number where your calls should route. Then, click Select a Phone Number.
- Choose your tracking phone number from the list of available numbers. If you want your number to have a different area code, click Numbers in a specific country or area code and enter your preferred area code. Then, click Number Features.
- Configure your whisper message and call recording. When you're finished, click Activate Tracking Number.
Adding your tracking number to a GMB account
Once you've created your new tracking number in CallRail, add the tracking number to your GMB account.
- Log into your GMB account.
- Click on the menu in the upper-right corner.
- Choose Business Profile settings.
- Choose Advanced settings.
- Under Google Ads phone number, enter the CallRail tracking number you created and click Save.
Create a location extension
Lastly, create a location extension (now called assets) in Google Ads.
- Sign in to Google Ads and select the account you’d like to edit.
- Click on Ads & assets in the left menu.
- Click Assets.
- Click the + icon, and then choose Location asset.
- Search for a GMB account or link to an account associated with your Google Ads account.
- Configure your location extension.